Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thoughts On A Saturday Afternoon

I hope that one day a man with a thick Russian (preferably) or European accent calls me "American Pig-dog." I get upset that I don't know any derogatory terms for Cubans. I swear, the Mexicans get all the luck. I don't understand why they're the ones called wetbacks, nor do I know where the term came from, but I feel that my people should be the ones called wetbacks as we're the ones who actually have to swim 90 miles to get to this glorious country. Is it odd that I'd like a racially charged slur to be hurled my way? Maybe the Mexicans and Cubans can have a battle royale for claim to the title. I guess that I don't know the terms for my people since most of them are in Florida and California has a larger Mexican population. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd grown up in Florida. I don't really like Florida. It's like California, but humid and home of Spring Break. I hate Spring Break. Well, I don't hate Spring Break, I just hate the 'bags that go to places like "The River" or "Acapulo" (it's misspelled purposely) or any number of hot-spots that MTV chooses to highlight. Maybe we should just annex Mexico. And Canada. It'd solve a lot of immigration problems. We could be the United States of North America Featuring Mexico. Imperialism needs to make a glorious return.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Mexicans have to swim across some river [I forget which; I just learned this in my Chicano Lifestyles class, too] to get to Arizona or Texas or something, so I believe the term is rightfully theirs. Although, you make an excellent point about Cubans having to swim 90 miles. I'm from Nicaragua and was smuggled over the border in a sausage casing so I wouldn't know ...

The Suarpion said...

The Rio Grande? I don't buy it, there are fences to hop. They aren't required to swim, they have options. Hell, they can come across in trucks or underground tunnels. A friend of mine proffered the theory that perhaps the term "wetback" comes from the image of workers in the fields having sweat drenching their backs. I thought that was feasible.

Sausage casing? At least it smelled delicious. Right? And there are two benefits to being a Q-Bean. First: Natural baseball talent. Second: Automatic Refugee status if you make it to American soil. Word.

Sara said...

Didn't I make a comment earlier about how much I love meat in all its glorious forms? I'm going to continue that double entendre (sp?) with, I LOVE SAUSAGE!

In my class a guy suggested that "sweat back" theory when the teacher asked where we thought the derogatory term came from and she denied him. FAIL! I do agree that that theory is feasible but I still think you being a "Q-bean" and all, you shall have to gracefully bow out of this battle ... And then rush the mound.

The Suarpion said...

Yes, I do believe you did leave a comment of that variety, and of course I highly encourage the double meanings. And speaking of meat (in a singular meaning), I'm going to make some breakfast (brunch...it's 12:15).

I think your teacher is an idiot. But I will bide my time and one of these days the Q's will strike and the term will be ours!