Thursday, October 9, 2008

Small Victories

Over the course of the years I've discovered that I quite enjoy the small victories. I like going to restaurants, ordering a beer and not being carded (unfortunately my parents will sometimes botch this attempt). I like the smell of a successfully washed load of laundry. I like when I color-coordinate the clothes in my closet (that doesn't happen often, but it sure feels good when it does). Finding money on the street is another good one. Small victories. But the small victories that make me question my character a bit are the ones that are slightly malicious. Example: my roommate of freshman year was a jerk, a scrote, a tool. He happened to be (I know not if he still is) a Lacrosse player for SDSU and was quite proud of himself for it. Sophomore year saw me not having to deal with him and at one point, spotting him from afar, I noticed the crutches and the broken leg/foot/toe/whatever. Small victory. Does this make me a bad person? I don't know. Wouldn't you be happy to see the fall of the Lacrosse player who made you sleep in the common area because he would have relations with his then soon-to-be ex-girlfriend about once every two weeks? Another example: Upon my return to my hometown I often see those that would pick on me or those that were general scumbags working in said hometown with no real future in sight save for their continuous work at the local Chili's. When asking them about their plans for the future and seeing nothing coming for them I always smile that smug "I knew it would happen and I'm glad" smile. Small victory. However at the same I time I don't know how successful I'll be. I worry that my future will not go as planned and I'll end up miserable. I suppose the advantage I (will) have is the college degree. Despite all of my moaning and groaning about my distaste for the collegiate life, I'm very happy that I've gone through with it, so I'll still have that small victory over those that are still home. With no future in sight. As a side note I'd like to mention that as I'm typing this I'm wearing my Jr. High P.E. shirt. "Canyon Hills" it says in big purple letter with a coyote and several sports spheroids launching themselves as if to escape the t-shirt, and under the school's name and the howling coyote are the words "Be your physical best".

No comments: