Sunday, February 15, 2009

61452451

This final semester is hell. For convenience sake and to have four-day weekends, I opted to enroll in a class called "Modern Fiction." While that would normally sound like a good enough class to take, the professor is as complete idiot. I've had a class with her before, so I knew how much I'd want to stick a drill into my skull, but I elected to take this specific class anyways. Her deal is that she's some moronic woman who happened to get a degree, but even the dumbest members of the class could teach it better than her. "I've read this about 40 times and I didn't catch that!" Well, that's because you're an idiot! She got her degree in French and Modern Literature or something like that, so rather than attempting to branch out, she reads the same material (that she doesn't have a grasp on), teaches the same books over and over and when forced to branch out, chooses the most popular novelists that she can work with from different regions that nobody cares about. So now? I'm sitting here at work reading the crap novel for class that is as boring as sitting in her class. Buchi Emecheta's The Bride Price. It's written as though a Jr. High Schooler wrote it. Example? Gladly.

She had been brought to Lagos from Ibuza to be married to her husband, Dogo. "Dogo" is a nickname given by the Hausas to any tall person. Uzo's Dogo had been a driver in the army during the war against Hitler, so had come into contact with lots of Hausas.

The novel is riddled with misspellings, grammatical errors and words that aren't even real. You can say "well, you're not such a great writer yourself," and I say to you that I already know that. But I'm not shoveling my crap at you for any sort of profit. I won't be celebrated in my time or any other for my writing abilities. I won't be forced down the throats of any students, nor will I claim any sort of prizes or awards for my pen. So just because this woman is Nigerian and writes about how girls don't like having to be paid for then all of a sudden she's a brilliant author? And of course all of the folks in the class are going to eat it all up and love it because it's "diverse" and the popular thing to do is accept everyone because they're coming from a culture that we're not accustomed to, so everything they do must be spectacular and all of a sudden because they're writing in English then it's bonus points because they're breaking out of their native tongue? Yeah, whatever. Some class.

No comments: