Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Work (and Not Working)

As it is a slow night at work and I've roughly 45 minutes until my break, I figured I would attempt to grace you all with some sort of post about work and the fact that I can post at work. I know that eventually I will be complaining about my situation, but before I get to that point in my life again I guess I should point out some of the good things about returning to Seaport that are not solely monetary (although that is a big part). For one, the crazies and the drifters. Down here in San Diego we have a wide variety of nut jobs who seem to find their way to my place of work. Example: Yesterday during my last fifteen minutes of work I happened to notice a scraggly fellow wander in front of the store where he then noticed our camera and television facing all of the outsiders. The same camera that is facing the outsiders giving them a glimpse of their (not so) beautiful selves. This man must have either been insane or on drugs, possibly both, as for my last 15 minutes he stood amazed at his own appearance on the TV. He observed how cool he was taking a drag from his cigarette and exhaling all of that nicotine-y goodness. This he did for quite some time and even tried walking toward and away from the camera to see if perhaps he could avoid its unblinking gaze. He was still at it when I left for home. I wonder if he remembers anything. Aside from the interesting people who frequent Seaport, there are also the new employees. While I miss all of the folks I used to work with, it would appear as though we have a batch of friendly faces. Not to mention the fact that the no good, lazy communist who chooses to show up late every day will not return after tomorrow. He is moving to New Mexico. For a year. I will not be here once May rolls around. While there are still some people who have not left, the fresh faces are youthful and roughly my age, so perhaps I might actually make friends. Not that I need to. One more thing about this place that sort of makes me smile is the respectful and grateful customer. In fact, earlier today a group of Asian gentlemen said to me "you're the man!" for simply charging their batteries and telling them to return if they needed them recharged while on their stay here in San Diego. This was made even more humorous due to the thick accents produced by said Asian gentlemen. No, my life may not be exciting and I may not be an interesting character, but the little things in my day help me to deal with the mediocrity produced by yours truly. I'm buying cigars. Oh, and Sara, here's the link to the post I was telling you about earlier today.

No comments: