Wednesday, December 31, 2008

REI

I've been spending lots of time (and money) at REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) lately. For those of you unfamiliar with the chain, they're an outdoor goods retailer specializing in camping, hiking, biking and climbing supplies. While I'm a devoted follower and customer of Bass Pro Shops, REI's camping supplies far surpass those of Bass Pro (REI lacks the gun, hunting and fishing departments as well as all of the Red Head clothing and moon pies that I've been acquiring like mad, which is why I put it below Bass Pro...that and Sam works there). So after depositing my check today I decided to pay them a visit to gear up for future hikes and backpacking excursions. I left today with a new inflatable bed roll that only weighs 1lb 11oz and a brand new backpack. I tried it out around the store with roughly 30lbs in it (which is what I should be carrying as it's just above 20% of my body weight) and I couldn't feel a thing. I think I'll be giving it a try tonight...sort of. After I'm off of work I'll be heading East for the night. If my co-worker tells me I can keep my night shift tomorrow then I'll break the backpack in for a nice morning hike, but I'll be testing out the bed roll in the back of my truck anyhow (since my usual tent is still back home). I figure I'll keep the tent I've been using for the past few years that my folks have, but I saw a bivy tent that weighed less than 1lb for only $90, which would help greatly in keeping my pack below 30lbs. I figure that food and clothing for a week can end up weighing me down quite a bit. I'll have to add on weight for toiletries, a hatchet, ice axe, cookware (unless I decide on nothing but cold meals), and, most importantly, water. Lots of water. I don't know what weight I'm at now, but I imagine getting a pack with all of the essentials under 30lbs will be a bit difficult and/or expensive. Either way, tonight will be good. I need to get out; and while everyone else will be celebrating the new year at stupid parties with bad alcohol and fireworks, waiting for a giant disco-ball to drop, I'll be sitting in the bed of my truck with the open sky full of stars, a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon and complete silence (hopefully without cell phone reception...though that will be my alarm clock). Who knows, maybe it'll be cold enough to finally put my emergency blanket to the test.

No comments: