Monday, December 15, 2008

On My Quitting Smoking

I'm sure that none of you believe that I can actually quit smoking (except for Sam, of course). Fact is, I've quit before (technically it's not quitting if I took it up again) for about three months. It's not as though I have an addiction (all smokers quitting say this). I believe that starting out rolling my own cigarettes aided in this as my tobacco ended up becoming dry and I didn't necessarily like the harsh taste that it provided me. Granted, I grew to enjoy the rough flavor that cigarettes could give me and (let's be honest) the inhalation of tobacco and nicotine (and several other additives) is quite relaxing (and cool). But it all comes down to willpower. Sure, I have impulse buying and tend to do things that I think are fun at the moment or whatnot, but I'd say that when I have a goal or a cause to do something for, I can push everyone and everything out and do it. Currently I have a goal. That goal requires physical fitness and dedication in keeping my body in shape and making sure I'm not doing anything stupid with myself. For a guy who has taken as many punches from life as I have (though I'm sure the punches I've taken are nowhere near as serious as others have dealt with), I can't help but believe that I can do anything I will. You may be thinking "oh Andy, you're so full of yourself, etc." but come on, I'm like a freight train that can't be derailed or a ship that can't be sunk. I think I like the latter analogy better than the former as a ship can capsize or can be pushed around by the waves and leave a body at death's door with no power over it. Whatever analogy you choose, I'm essentially saying that I'm a fighter who won't stop until he's dead. Either way, if you don't believe that I can discontinue my tobacco vice, then this here blog thing will help you all to make some sort of betting pool. While I may not be advertising and saying "well, it's been 47 days and I really want a smoke" I'll certainly mention at various times that my absence of tobacco (save for cigars since it's a different experience and you're not supposed to inhale and they're for special occasions) will be X days long or whatnot. If I put my mind to it, I can do it. As far as exorcise is concerned in conjunction with the quitting of smoking, I can't say. Though I am trying to get back in shape and hopefully that regimen will continue as well. This is more difficult to maintain, especially once school starts again as there will be less time with classes and work taking up my free time. But so long as I keep in moderately decent shape I should be good enough to accomplish my eventual goal. Anyways, to those of you who care to keep track, December 15th is the day that Andy quit smoking. At least until October/November of 2009. Believe me, I'll be honest with you all if I decide to buy a pack or take a drag whilst with the few amigos I have. I won't even have victory cigarettes for my finals. But of course you don't believe me. We'll just let my actions do the talking. Until next time.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Okay, so I believe you obviously. However, even though I do agree that smoking may be relaxing, I disagree witht the fact that you think it is cool. C'mon Andy, I thought you were the type of guy who didn't get into the trends because others thought they were "cool." People believing cigarettes were cool went out a long time ago. Unless you're a Bro or a douche....

Anyways, good for you for quitting.

Carson Daly said...

Ah, Sam, I take issue with that last comment. In taLKing with Andy,I know that you have seen Lethal Weapon, so two words: Mel fucking Gibson. Smoking is cool.

The Suarpion said...

Haha! I was just about to write something similar with references to Lethal Weapon and other movies featuring smokers kicking ass and taking names, but far longer and much more drawn out. Now I need not do so.

Sam said...

Ah, damn. You got me. But just remember, Mel makes the cigaretts, the cigs don't make Mel.