Wednesday, September 3, 2008

YOWZA!

So, I just made it in to San Diego and boy, I've gotta tell you, WHAT A SHOW! First, the reasons I'm an idiot. I forgot the tickets at home, I forgot to bring the CD with their photos on it, I got us lost (despite the fact that I'd been there a few times before) and we ended up missing the acoustic part of their show (which was the first 4 songs, I know this because I got the set list and they had told me as soon as I got there what I'd missed). They didn't accept credit card, they didn't have an ATM and they didn't have a computer to help me out to print out my tickets. So, Andrew and I had to walk two blocks to a grocery store where the ATM was out of service only to stand in line to buy a Monster energy drink in order to get cash back to see the show.

Either way, their electric set was absolutely amazing and they reassured us that we had only missed what we'd seen the night before during their full acoustic set (which was absolutely brilliant). What made me even happier was that they each recognized me, called me by name and thanked me for everything. Peter and David each offered to try to get me into some 21+ shows on their upcoming tour (one in SD and one in LA). They also gave me a free t-shirt and a whole bunch of stickers. The t-shirt was because I'd bought so much stuff from them and supported them. I already had the shirt, but for some reason a bleach stain got on it, so it's good to have a new one to flaunt. Anyways, the people at the show were kind of lame as they all did that semi-circle around the stage with their hands in their pockets not sure if they thought the band was cool enough to get into. I, on the other hand, went straight to front and center and actually did a little shimmy and a shake during some of their songs. I don't really dance, in fact, I don't really like dancing, but they can get me off of my feet to bounce around a little bit. I really only dance under two conditions. 1) I'm drunk and "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" is on or 2) Birdmonster.

The headlining band was called Sons and Daughters. They were a generic punk band and were introduced in some tacky fashion by some guy saying that they were the best contraceptive (you read that right, contraceptive). It actually really upset me that they were headlining. Their music was standard with no originality whatsoever, but because they're from Scotland then all of a sudden they've got all of the street cred with the indie kids. I'm not even complaining because I'm biased, you look at both of those performances and Birdmonster blows them away. You can actually understand what they're singing and their energy and stage presence is a force to be reckoned with. S&D just stood there while their lead singer played her tambourine. Andrew and I joked that the glove things she had on (which we called gauntlets) gave her +10 magic defense and was made of mythril. Har, har. Needless to say, we skipped most of S&D's set (especially since I had to jet back down to San Diego). So, we left and thanked the band one more time and here I am writing to you about how you all missed out and how I'm pretty much a groupie (minus the sexual favors, of course) and obsessed (if you couldn't already tell). Unfortunately I didn't get to drink with the band as Andrew can't drive stick and, again, I had to get down to San Diego (and the whole not being 21 thing).

The night before during the acoustic set was pretty amazing as well. We got there and talked to them a bit before the set. As you all know, I took photos (as it was a more relaxed environment). After the show was probably the best part as we talked to all of the guys, got free posters along with our CDs (I got mine signed, and I bought 3 copies of the CD...one for me, one for Sam and one for Scott) and I bought 2 other T-shirts (one of which I wore to to-nite's show). Justin complimented Andrew on his Mega Man t-shirt and we mused about Mario Paint Composer and later felt giddy that I had him sign my poster "GOING STATE IN '88!" David and Peter were humble and excited to see us there and we talked about their touring, their new album and why they're so cool. Zack was happy to get attention (I kid because I care).

Anyways, that's about all I've got for now. I'm getting up in about 4 hours for my first day of crap. I don't even know where my classes are or what I'm taking this semester. Jiminy Christmas, I want this year to be over already.

No comments: