Friday, September 12, 2008

On Bill Maher Being an Ass

Y'know, I didn't really want to get into this whole political discussion crap on my blog. And honestly, my opinion doesn't really matter on the whole election and who I think should be el Presidente de Los Estados Unidos, but to-nite something really bugged me on the T.V. I got home to the hills and had dinner with my folks and was enjoying a (some) game(s) of baseball (Angels vs. Mariners and Dodgers vs. Rockies) when my ma decided that she absolutely had to watch Bill Maher because last week he was so funny. I'm not a big fan of Mr. Maher. He's a comedian (or at least he says he is, but I don't find him funny) who now hosts his own talk-show on HBO where he discusses current events and politics and such. And while Maher claims to not be on either side of the political debate (although to-nite he declared his allegiance to the Obama party due to Palin's speech last night), I'm fairly certain he's lying. See, Billy Boy gets guests on his show to talk about the political spectrum and the guests usually are comprised of an actual politician, an actor/actress and someone considered a pop-culture intellectual. Then they bring out someone else in the last 5 minutes of panel time to join their "debate" and blather on about how evil the Republican party is. Here's where I get angered.

Bill Maher is a hack and an imbecile. On to-nite's panel was Salman Rushdie, John Fund (a political journalist with a conservative slant), and Janeane Garofolo. The show followed the same damned cycle of everyone ganging up on the conservative member of the group that evening. It began with Bill bashing Palin's speech last night (as most everyone is doing right now) and that seemed to be the theme for the evening. And once Mr. Fund says anything defending the woman the rest of the panel breaks into a frenzy. It was fresh blood in a tank containing sharks, piranhas, and Billy Joel. I commend John Fund on being an eloquent speaker and being able to defend his stances on everything that was thrown at him. But I tell you what, Janeane Garofolo needs to shut up. I have a big problem with these actors who think that all of sudden because they're in the eyes of the public they automatically have an informed and intellectual view on all things political. She's not funny and she's not a politician. What is she? She is the poo in the wilderness that my dog tastes every so often. It seemed as though any time Fund even made a peep she was calling him a liar, an idiot or any number of things that she really couldn't back up. But what really, and I mean really, and I mean getting me to write this stupid post really, made me steamed was when she uttered the phrase "democrats are naturally more compassionate people than republicans are." I'm not a republican. I'm not a democrat. Hell, to be honest with you I'm not even registered to vote. I'm also not so absolutely ignorant as to utter a sentence so idiotic that I'd show the entire world how stupid I really am (although due to the applause, most of Billy Boy's audience is that ignorant and stupid).

If that weren't enough, their special guest panelist at the last five minutes of panel time was none other than Roseanne Barr. Yeah, the annoying one that was married to Tom Arnold and had her sitcom entitled Roseanne. The same Roseanne that butchered the American national anthem. So, of course when she comes on she gets all the respect from Janeane and Bill and Salman. And all she did was this: "Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack." No, she didn't actually do that (although it did sound that way), but she was even less informed about the country's status and the presidential election, but felt the need to comment on how bad things would be if McCain were elected president. Seriously, Roseanne Barr?! Ugh.

I know that I didn't really do a good job of defending my own point here, but this was more to let off my frustration. I honestly wanted to throw something at the T.V., that's how infuriating Bill and Janeane are to me. Salman Rushdie I didn't really mind; he was silent most of the time and when he did speak he wasn't being a complete jackass.

Ugh...sigh. Yeah. Well, I guess I should end this on a happier note, I'd like to welcome Sara and Carissa to this work in progress. A fine how do you do to the both of you and feel free to comment and pitch in your thoughts whenever/wherever you see fit. I see that Sara has already taken that liberty. Keep it up. And now I'm just rambling. I'm up to seven stalkers now. I got my first spam blog email thing the other day telling me to check out some other person's blog. That's exciting. I've got nothing.

1 comment:

Carson Daly said...

Inspired by a brief sentiment suggested in your blog..."Whenever, wherever We're meant to be together
I'll be there and you'll be near
And that's the deal my dear". I didn't read the complete update regarding the charlatan that is Bill Maher, but I get the idea. In other news; does linguistics gal/cocina now subscribe to this daily bulletin of misanthropic sentiment? If so, tap that shit!111! ?>1!!!2!!!! Anyway, I'm about to drink your cheap chardonnay. So take that! And remember, "they remember".