Monday, March 16, 2009

There & Back Ag-Wait, Wrong Story

I was planning on writing something longer than what you're about to read, but after making it back to SD I began feeling awful sick-like, so I'm not going to try to hard at work or at writing anything right now since I just want to sit back and drink juice.

I left SD this weekend to make a trip out to Utah for my old high school buddy's wedding reception (we couldn't get into the actual wedding due to religious stuff). Andrew and I left around 11am on Saturday and got to our campsite (camping was $25 with an online reservation, hotels were $60+) around 5:30pm mountain time (so 4:30 our time). That included a stop for lunch.

The reception was scheduled to start at 7pm. We showed up about 5 minutes early to see my former government teacher outside on his cell (he happens to be the uncle of the groom). We flagged him down and entered with him. We saw a line formed leading to the bride and groom along with their folks. We stood in that line awaiting our turn to shake the hands of all of the above. For the 1 hour 40 minutes we were there, that's all there was. We ended up spending our entire time with aforementioned Government teacher and his family. We helped each other from awkwardness by being almost the only other people we knew there. Apparently 1200 were invited. I don't know how many actually showed up, but it was ridiculous.

We got back to our campsite and after chewing the fat for a couple hours we slept and awoke around 7am mountain time. That's about it, really. Nothing too exciting. We didn't get to talk to our old friend much since he was shaking hands for a couple hours (we don't know how long it actually went on), but were glad we went since we're pretty sure he appreciated the gesture. Fun trip all-in-all though.

As mentioned earlier, I got back to SD and immediately started feeling ill (not in the 80's/90's street term, either). Maybe that has something to do with just wanting to get the hell out of here already. Or maybe it's just exhaustion and over exertion. Either way, I've gotta read more Toni Morrison crap for an in-class writing assignment tomorrow. Her writing makes me want to vomit uncontrollably. In rage. On kittens. And migrant workers. Oh yeah, and I need to dedicate the music for today to Andrew and his 90's music shenanigans. Hell, I'll just combine it with this post.

Natalie Imbruglia

Torn

This one isn't 90's, but we were talking about the song on the drive, so here it is.

Elvis Costello

Radio, Radio (the performance that got him banned from SNL)

3 comments:

Andrew B said...

Here comes the solo! Awwwwwwww SNAP!

Sam said...

Why did the song get him band?

The Suarpion said...

He wasn't supposed to play it. And Scott can correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but I believe it was due to the message of the song talking about the commercialization and control over songs being played on the radio, what gets popular, etc. Example: "The radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools tryin' to anesthetize the way that you feel"