Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hiking, Bouldering & Such

It would appear that my idiocy worked in my favor for once. Apparently I was scheduled to work from 10-4 today, but seeing as I haven't worked that shift since my first day back on the job, I assumed that I was at my usual 4-9. So at 10:20 am, after I'd just finished chalking my hands, not two seconds before I was to horizontally scale a rock formation, 3 miles into the regional park, I was surprised to feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. Mainly because I'd turned my phone off. The fact that my phone was ringing upset me as once again this cell has proven to be an utter nuisance. What bothered me even more was that the person calling was my boss. 10:20, I thought, what could he possibly want at 10:20? He probably needs me to come in. Yadzia's been sick, so maybe she called off.

Andy: (Confused look) "Hello?"
Omar: "Heyandy, howyoudoing" (it wasn't a question)
A: (Still confused) "I'm fine, what's up?"
O: "Andy, you supposed to work today at 10"
A: (Even more confused, surprised, somewhat taken aback) "Really? I thought I was 4-9?"
O: "Lemme see, what day is it today?"
A: (Raised eyebrow) "Tuesday" (Earlier during the day I thought it was Wednesday, but that's because I haven't been able to figure out the day of the week, just the date. I've been thinking I'm a day ahead for the past few weeks, but that's a missive for a different time)
O: "Tuesday, let me see....Yeah you supposed to come in at 10 o'clock."
A: (The "oops" face) "Oh jeez, sorry about that, Omar; I thought I was 4-9."
O: "Is no problem, just come in at 1, you work from 1-9."
A: (relieved, satisfied)"Oh, alright, sounds good. I'll be there at 1."
O: "Yeah, 1-9, I put you 1-9."
A: (Normal tone) "Ok, thanks Omar."
O: "Yeah, ok, thankyoubuddy, Iappreciateit, thankyoubyebye"

Seeing as we made it to the park at about 8 or 815, we figured that we should leave shortly after the call if I wanted to make it back to my apartment to drop Brian off and to be able to grab something to eat. For 20 minutes more we did the horizontal shuffle on a few rocks while getting some photos of climbing action and general scenery. I got a photo of some water in between a rock formation that reminded me of the Death Star trench-run (IT'S AWAY!). We decided that if we remained bouldering we wouldn't make it back in time for me to get to work, so we got to Marionette with some time for lunch.

I rushed leaving my apartment and ended up leaving my books and ipod at home, leaving me with internet radio (from Minnesota) and of course my first customer was a difficult one (though not my fault). My co-worker had decided to tell some old Ecuadorian woman that she could find polaroid film for her (which wasn't the case) and had her pay up-front for the damned stuff without having the product. So today she was expecting her special order and we didn't have it. She was giving me grief about it until she learned I was Cuban (apparently I don't look it), then she just started giving me grief about my co-worker (who's Bolivian). She had a gross mustache. Poor old lady, she probably just wanted someone to talk to since she was here for awhile telling me about all of the other Latin-folk she knows and where they're all from. Lady doesn't even have a phone (so she says), but she was so broken-hearted when I told her that they didn't manufacture the polaroid film anymore. She gave us her address so that in case we ever came across any of it to write her telling her that we've got some in.

Getting to work earlier than normal had another benefit as well. Food. Omar brought in some food from his restaurant for all of the employees working the day shift. After reflection and the happenings of the day I saw that my not knowing to come in at 10 was a huge plus. Had I known I was working at 10 I wouldn't have gone hiking or climbing. Had I known to come in at 10 I wouldn't have had fun, and I would have only worked 6 hours instead of 8, meaning I now get more money on my next paycheck and a 30 minute break...that I'll do nothing on. I also wouldn't have had any fun whatsoever (unless I was playing CoD...which I would have been). So, Andy's stupidity? If it's going to get me benefits like today's? Fine by me. I'll hopefully do it again soon. Maybe tomorrow. Or Thursday. Not Friday, though.

2 comments:

Sam said...

The last line in this post reminds me that you haven't done a poetry sunday in awhile.

The Suarpion said...

Yeah...maybe this Sunday. I haven't really had the motivation to write bad lines of nothingness...oh wait, that's my blog.