Thursday, January 22, 2009

First Day, Past Weekend, Last Thursday

As was to be expected of the first day this semester, all was boring and nothing was said. Being that this be my last semester, I opted for an easy route out, wherein I wouldn't have to do anything serious or strenuous. It also helps that the only classes left for me to take are general education. That being said, it's almost as though I'm a freshman all over again. Three of four classes entered today were full of the bright-eyed, optimistic eighteen-year olds cogitating over their recent vacations and of parties-to-be. I can't say that I was nostalgic.

While these past four years of college have not necessarily been to my liking, I certainly appreciate the experience. Perhaps some years down the line I'll wish I had continued on in my schooling and may return for an advanced degree, but that time is not now and will not be soon. The feeling of an internal explosion, the need for excitement, adventure and danger has been hounding me for quite some time and with the end so near in sight the feeling is almost unbearable. My only concern is that I let this feeling cloud my judgment and my work, causing me to fail the only classes I have left to take. I tread dangerous waters at the moment and cannot afford to make even the slightest miscalculation. May 21st is 4 months away. Plenty of time to slip up.

But you all don't want to hear about that, do you? You do? Oh. Well...ah...um...
...
...
ellipsis

So a week ago I went out hiking again. I was recommended a book entitled Afoot and Afield: San Diego County which highlights all hiking trails from beach to desert in San Diego County (duh), providing me with several different areas to explore and get lost in. So last Thursday I opted to revisit the Lake Cuyamaca area, completing a 10.5 mile hike in roughly 4 hours 15 minutes, including a lunch break. I started my hike at 8:15, returning by noon 30, having seen absolutely no one on the trail and only one other auto parked in the lot. I was awed at the mule deer I sighted and even managed to snag several photos of them running from my presence. I observed roughly 30 mule deer in one location and captured about 20 in one photograph, before noticing a group of others approaching from a different direction making a rendezvous with the larger group just mentioned.

The trail taken was a bit tricky as several downed trees blocked my path, forcing detours and a bit of trailblazing, but this only added to the fun of the hike. One of the switchbacks was overgrown, causing a second-guessing in my own judgment as to which way I should be going or whether or not I was on the correct trail. Everything was great, but once again my cell phone managed to put itself in the "on" position, prompting two voicemails from Omar, desperately asking me to come in to cover for our employee who either quit, was fired, or simply disappeared off the face of the Earth. Feeling guilty (despite the fact that it was my day off) and having finished the trip earlier than expected, I picked up a 4-9 shift, but not before stopping off in Julian (where the people are jerks) for some apple pie...that I bought for my co-worker. Didn't even taste it. Dang.

Friday saw my return home for the weekend. The weekend showed me some glorious things that made me think more about the person that I've been and will be in the coming years. And having been at this post for a bit and wanting more dedication to that post, I'll leave you all with this semi-paragraph describing not really anything at all. Expect the post tomorrow or this weekend. I apologize for the lack of words lately, but getting situated for the new school year has been a bit time consuming, along with work and MGS. The photos are slowly but surely getting posted onto the designated page, but I found out after establishing my three sets that I only get three sets. I don't know how to edit the sets without deleting them first, but I can still add my photos. I'll have one "set" designated to outdoor photography, one for concerts and one for anything that doesn't fall into either of those categories, but first I must figure out how to do it all. Until next time.

1 comment:

Andrew B said...

I'm in an econ class with about 40 freshman. You'll know how hard it is to refrain from screaming "You little shits wont even be here in one year" whenever they talk about their majors in about 1 day.