Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More Hiking 'n' Stuff

On my way back from home today I stopped by my dad's friend, Larry's place. Unfortunately my dad couldn't join us today, but we went out to San Jacinto and put in an 11 mile hike in about 5 hours. While we were on the trail we met up with a bunch of "Thru-Hikers." Thru-Hikers are people backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail which goes from the U.S./Mexico border to about nine miles into Canada. The whole trek is roughly 2,650 miles. The prime time to leave was two weeks ago and most of the folks we spoke with were at that marker. One of the guys had recently mailed back his tent as he felt he didn't need it until Kennedy Meadows. That same guy has the same backpack I do. I was (am) envious. Here these people were out doing something that very few attempt and even less complete. While I'm uncertain as to how many of the folks we saw today will be in Canada about 4 months from now, I do wish them all the best of luck.

Larry and I ended up getting beer and sandwiches at the Winchester Inn afterward and I made it back to SD by 10pm. Getting to and from Hemet takes a lot longer than it should.

On a side note: Happy birthday, Marina.

No comments: